Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Go Team Go!

     Since the March Madness filtered into April, I decided to watch the championship game.  Anyone who knows me, knows I'm about as sportsy as a dish rag, so this was certainly unusual.  I had seen snippets of the other games and could not understand how a #3 rated team got paired with a #14 rated team and posed a couple of questions to this malady.  Some of my sportsy family did their best to explain and some talked about brackets.  But to me, brackets are something used to hang a shelf on the wall, so I just put on my best, "oh, yes, I get it now" face and thanked them for the info.

     I do not know why I don't like sports.  My father was a huge sports fan and passed the love of all things sportsy to most of the other family members.  He tried to teach me to play golf.....once....but I could not make it past the water hazard, aka pond, and was more than happy to go hunt for frogs.  That must have been what I was doing when he was passing around the sports love.

     So, the big NCAA (National Coalition of Amazing Athletes)  game was about to start.  I had decided to cheer for the underdog, Wisconsin.  There was no particular reason for this choice other than I do like Frank the Tank.  At seven feet tall he is certainly an amazing athlete to watch.  I'm thinking too, that Frank the Tank would come in really handy around my house.  He reminds me of Mike in Dr. Seuss' classic One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish.
Mike rides a bike with the kids and when the terrain gets steep, Mike pushes.  Yes indeed, Frank the Tank could reach places in my home that I haven't seen for years.  I've even walked around the house with a yard stick, measuring 22 inches above the top of my head just to realize how tall Frank is.  I also realized Frank will have to duck a lot.....or wear a helmet.

     Anyway, the first half of the game was a barn burner.  I hooped and hollered and jumped up and down on the couch.  Runtly thought he was either in some kind of big trouble or I had lost my mind.  At half time the score was tied and I was nearly worn out.  My husband said, "Well, it's a brand new game."  I looked at him in disbelief and then what he said dawned on me.....we were right back at zero.

     During half time, there was some channel surfing going on and we watched some poor bloke in the UFC ring being turned into hamburger.  My, my, that was entertaining and I was sure glad when the basketball game resumed.  I had been told that Wisconsin always has a better second half and they came out of the half time break like gangbusters.  Both teams were going up and down the court so fast that I was exhausted.  

     As the clock began to tick away the last minutes of the game and the score was still neck and neck, the timeouts began.  I  decided I would go upstairs and watch the rest of the game in bed. Thirty minutes later my husband walked into the bedroom.  I looked at the TV and there was much celebrating going on.  "Who won?", I asked.  "Duke", he answered.  "Oh no!  I fell asleep before the game was over!"

     "That's OK", my husband said, "They would have won whether or not you had been awake."

     Well, we'll never know now, will we?

No comments:

Post a Comment