Monday, July 8, 2019

R.O.I.

R.O.I.  Return On Investment.  What does it mean?  In the stock market world, it is meant to show whoever wants to buy certain stocks what kind of money they might expect to earn from their investment.  There is a lot more to it, but in layman's terms, that is the desired outcome, especially when compared to the initial cost.

Can R.O.I. be applied to other aspects?  How about a project?  Let's say a person has been working on a particular project for a long time.  Maybe they are building a boat in their basement.  After a while, when they realize that there is no way the boat will ever see water, they come to the conclusion that all their time and effort was for naught.  This is not to say there was absolutely nothing gained during the process.  Surely their woodworking skills were honed to a fine edge over the time spent.  But, their dream of sailing the seven seas, or the local lake, along with the cost of materials spent showed a R.O.I. of zero.

Should relationships have an R.O.I.?  It seems they should. What kind of situation could have a Return On Investment?  If a person who works for a company, always shows up on time, does a stellar job at whatever is given them but never gets a raise or praise, that could be called a very low R.O.I.  The person was at least getting paid an agreed upon wage, so the return cannot be zero, but it's close if the original plan was to climb the ladder to a higher paying position.  What about other human relationships, family, friends, spouses?  Should those too, have an R.O.I.?  If these situations are a never ending give and take, then yes, the R.O.I. is high, because that is a sign of a healthy relationship.  But, if it is one sided, with only one half of the partnership doing all the work, making sure the other is always taken care of, no matter what, then again, the R.O.I. is very low.

Best selling author and public speaker, Ron Ball, made a statement that was seared into my brain matter.  "God uses troubles to fashion us for better things."  So, it is not to say that a low to zero R.O.I is the bottom of the barrel, a failure.  No, it was, or is, a learning experience.  What one does with that wisdom is entirely up to them.  If they want or need a higher R.O.I., it may be time to walk away from that particular project.  

No comments:

Post a Comment