Friday, July 28, 2017

Bread, Glass & Names

The geese were doing their daily walk past the backside of our building and directly below our deck.  Sometimes, if there are a few leftover slices of bread, I will break the bread in as many pieces as possible and feed the geese.  This practice is actually frowned upon and every park has a sign explaining why feeding the geese is detrimental to them, by slowing the process of natural selection, and to us, by griping about how many dang geese there are.  Anyway, every so often, I feed the geese.

One of the three ponds, (aka, city lakes) is just to the right of our dwelling and it adds to our backyard view looking like we are somewhere in the middle of the woods.  While I was feeding bread to the geese, I thought that I should share a slice or two with the many fishes that live in the pond.

Our deck has a ceiling and the section that runs right above the railing is adorned with many a hanging plant, bird feeder and shiny things.  One of these shiny things is a beautiful wind chime given to me by my oldest sister, Lela.  It is made out of slices of  colored wine bottles that have been melted just long enough to deform their shape.  Since it is entirely made out of glass, it is not to be left out in strong winds.  Our building sits at some odd angle so it rarely gets any wind on the deck and therefore, the wind chime is safe....

So, I have this great idea to wing a piece of bread over to the pond.  It's not that far away and I figure if I throw it like a Frisbee, put a little tilt on it so it makes it between the trees, it should hit the water.  The first slice did not make it and landed on the bank.  I have no idea if the second slice made it to the water or not because when I let loose with a throw of a lifetime, it was followed by something that sounded like a gunshot...even my husband jumped.

I had managed to hit the bottom of my beautiful wind chime and in doing so, I broke two pieces of it.  I hit it so hard that we have yet to find all the pieces and I'm not sure the rest of those pieces didn't disintegrate.  

Lela and my other sister, Blanche, are coming for a visit this fall. Those are not their real names, but names of two of our fathers' sisters.  If you had the privilege of knowing the original Lela and Blanche, you would understand why their names are so suiting for my siblings.  I have contacted the company that makes these gorgeous wind chimes and hopefully I can get it repaired before my sister duo arrive.  In the meantime, I shall not try to feed the fish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment