Monday, January 16, 2017

One of Two Things

     The apartment complex we now refer to as home, reminds me of one of those activity rugs for children.  The streets wind around all the buildings.  Sometimes they will go all the way through to the next building and sometimes they end in a circular parking lot that exits the same way it entered.  On the main street, into this area, is a mail kiosk with mail boxes on all four sides.  At the end of the main street is a swimming pool surrounded by empty chaise lounge chairs and behind the pool is a tennis court.   A car wash sits tucked in between two of the apartment buildings.  In one small grassy circle are two grills for cooking and two park benches. There is even a community trash bin that crushes all the garbage and a line of recycling bins.  

     Just like the activity rug, there are lots of cars.  Since this place is under a huge remodel project, there are lots of construction vehicles.  Front end loaders and bobcats travel from one building to another, bringing in new supplies or taking out debris.  The streets are very busy in this place.

     Since a major north/south highway runs behind the complex and since there is always traffic on it, no matter the time of day or night, there is ALWAYS a noise in the air.  Much like the white noise many a baby boomer can remember, when the station went off the air on the television set.....but not nearly as pleasant.

     Runtly, the ever so entertaining Jack Russell Terrier, is a really smart dog.  He can perform numerous tricks and cocks his head to the side when we talk to him as if he knows exactly what we are saying......and sometimes he does.  But, when it comes to walking on a leash, he has a mind of his own.  I know this is no fault of his and I should have corrected the behavior early on.  My excuse is, a JRT needs to move as much as possible, so if he wants to walk 400 steps to my ten, that is fine with me and I let him have the 16 feet of leash to roam with.  The consequence of not letting him have his freedom is watching him boing and bounce off the walls like a steel ball in a pinball machine.

     Walking the dog has now become a game of survival. The constant drum of background noise literally drowns out everything else. I cannot count on both hands, the number of times I have turned around, in the middle of the street, to find a car directly behind me.  The driver is never amused, even when I do the "holy crapola two step" trying to get myself, the dog and 16 feet of leash out of their way.  I have tried turning around, periodically, to check on the traffic situation.  When I do this, I look like a child that just learned to ride a bike.  If they look behind them, which ever direction they looked is the direction the bike is going to go.  I shant have the good people of this small community thinking that the little lady with the little white dog has already been in the sauce......and it isn't even noon yet!

     I decided I only had two options left.....get run over or look for some of those spy glasses, the ones with mirrors, so the wearer can see behind them.....without having to turn around!  Imagine my delight when I looked online and there were so many to choose from I still have not made up my mind which one to get.  

     One thing is for sure, when I get a pair, Runtly and I will be looking savvy as we stroll down the street, looking oh so casual as we deftly maneuver out of harms way..... especially if I get him a pair too. 

       

No comments:

Post a Comment