Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Lights, Camera, Action!

     The amenities city life has to offer are many.  Supermarkets that hold vast varieties of foods, big box stores for home improvement or wardrobe improvement, auto repair and tire shops, furniture stores, endless mattress shops and a veterinary clinic on every corner.  The best advantage to city life is, most of these things are within a few blocks of home.  

     Another amenity is the movie theater.  Going to the movies was something my husband and I rarely did.  I suppose the main reason for that was, because it took at least a 40 minute drive to find a theater.  

     Since we have a movie theater, almost within walking distance from our humble abode, we decided to go see the movie "Ben-Hur".  Remember, it had been a long time since we had gone to the movies, so imagine our surprise when the ticket lady asked us what seats we would like.  We had no idea and had her pick a couple of seats, one being on the isle.  As we walked through the entrance doors to the theater we knew a lot of things had changed.  We had to ask for directions because there are 16 movie screens under one roof and we needed number 8.  Luckily we had eaten before we left and were able to by-pass the food stands.  Long gone are the days of having three choices for a snack at the movies, popcorn, candy and a soft drink.  Now it is possible to dine on an eight course meal along with a glass of wine.

     We entered the dark theater and after our eyes adjusted to the low light, made the way up the steps to our seats.  Each row was designated by a small glowing letter and the seats had a glowing number on them.  Our seats were on the front row of the section we where to sit in.  As we set down, we realized there was at least six feet of empty floor space in front of us.  It did not take us long to figure out why....the seats reclined.  My husband was sure that he could not recline his seat all the way for fear of someone tripping over his legs.  I assured him that the good people who designed the theater probably knew what they were doing and there would be plenty of room, past his out stretched legs, to pass.   Then I mentioned that snoring would be frowned upon.  As I settled into my seat, I thought about the theater I went to as a teen and how my feet would stick to the floor because someone had spilled their drink three rows back.

     Forty plus years had come and gone since we had last seen "Ben-Hur".  We had forgotten most of the story matter, but anyone who remembers watching the original, will never forget the chariot race.  The new re-make will not disappoint.

     On the way home we decided that the next time we wanted to go to the movies, it would be safe to wait until closer to the actual viewing time.  That way we would not have to sit through all the previews of the upcoming movies.  Although, during the previews, I found one I thought I would like to see.

     The movie I wanted to see was of a subject matter that my husband would find little interest in.  Stepping way out of my comfort zone, I decided to go see it by myself.  I had been watching the calendar for the movie's opening date and had chosen the early afternoon viewing.  Since I considered myself a seasoned movie goer and so much wiser, I waited until ten minutes before the show was to start before I left the house.  After all, it was right after noon on a Friday, the place could not be that busy.

     As I wheeled into the parking lot from an entrance located behind the theater, my jaw dropped.  The parking lot was packed!
I navigated my way to the far end and finally found a place to park. As I walked across the huge lot, bulging with cars, I was thinking my plan was not looking too good as I could see the line of people at the ticket counter.  Where in the world did all these people and their children come from?  It was Friday!  Why weren't these kids in school?!  It was Friday, Friday the 11th of November.....Veteran's Day....a holiday.

     When I finally got to the ticket counter, the nice lady informed me there were only two seats left.  I told her to pick one and I would be fine with it.  Yes indeed, two seats left.....right smack in the middle of the front row.  I was sure glad to have that reclining seat, otherwise I would still have a crimp in my neck from holding my head back to see the screen.  

     When the movie was over, I'm pretty sure I glowed for a couple of hours from being that close to the screen.  From now on, I will leave a little earlier and check the calendar for upcoming holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment