Tuesday, August 2, 2016

The Roll of Tape

     When I get done working on my orders, I have to package them up to get them ready to ship.  My orders, you ask? Well, that will be explained in the blog following this one.

     I use a lot of tape when I'm packing.  I have a certain brand that I like and usually only buy one roll at a time.  Limited space requires limited stuff.

     When starting out with a new roll, it's always easy to see how much tape is left on the roll.  There is a certain thickness on the side of the roll that keeps me in belief that this particular roll just might last forever.  Invariably, I always realize that I may run out before I get everything packaged.

     Most of us have been there.  Like on Christmas Eve when we have waited until the last minute to wrap packages.  The stores are all closed and the roll of tape is about down to the bare nubbins. Then we all do the same thing.....using tiny little pieces of tape in hopes we can make it last until the last flap of wrapping paper has been folded, tucked and secured. 

     As I resorted to cutting some of the pieces lengthwise, the thought occurred to me that the roll of tape was a lot like life.  

     We start out not knowing exactly what to do with the tape and fall victim to the amusement of others as we try to figure out how to get it off one finger, only to find it stuck on another.  Once we get the hang of it, the pieces get a little bigger and we use it to tape our artwork to the wall, or place a piece on the cat's tail.

     Somewhere along the line, we discover the side of the roll.  We think to ourselves, "Say, there's a lot of tape on here!"  We begin to pull off long strips to put all around the edges of our endeavors as if to make them last longer.  Then, before we know it, the edge of the roll has gotten thin.  We have to hold it close to the light, to gauge just how much might be left and find ourselves back at the beginning....tearing off little short pieces of tape.

     The message was so unexpected.  A dear friend had passed away.  I was stunned, she had always been the epitome of health.  It had been some time since we had last spoken.  She popped into my thoughts just a couple of weeks ago, out of the blue and I ignored something that I believe in, to the very core of my soul, so strongly.....she had sent me a message.  I should have called her.

     If we only had an ounce of understanding just how powerful our thoughts are, we could accomplish so many wonderful things, help so many others, change a world that seems to be crumbling apart.  

     The next time someone pops into your head, take the time to stop and pay attention.  Pick up the phone and make the call because they just might be on their last piece of tape.

No comments:

Post a Comment