Monday, April 25, 2016

Good Ideas

     The streets in this new place sparkle like diamonds.  Even the parking lots glitter like dancing jewels when the sun shines on them.  I guess this is because of the large amounts of quartz in this area.  Whatever the reason, taking a drive on a sunny day, is always entertaining.  

     So far in our sojourn, we have only found one street that is not divided.  All the streets have some kind of medium that separates the lanes of traffic.  If your destination is on the opposite side of the street, figuring out how to get there can be a journey in itself.  But, we have watched the locals and it seems the very best maneuver, and most favorite, is the U-turn.  

     This makes the left turn lanes and interesting place to be.  We have learned that it is of the most utmost importance to pay attention to the vehicle in front of us.  Just because they are in the left turn lane does not mean they are actually turning left, many are getting ready to make a Uie.  Since the left lane turn signals only stay green for a short amount of time, everyone hits the gas pedal like they are at a NASCAR race.  Just about the time we are ready to make our flight across the intersection, the person in front slams on the brakes and makes a Uie.  

     This is surely the reason there are a lot of small pieces of  head and tail lights at nearly every intersection.  This has also given me thought to solve the problem.  Since most automobiles on the roads these days have a third brake light, allow me to introduce the U-turn signal.  This contraption, shaped like a capital U and approximately six inches tall, could be placed right under the third brake light in the back window.  It would have to have a separate switch and I think placing that by the hazard lights would work.  Of course, it would have to be turned off manually and this glitch would probably mean that we would have to endure following a vehicle for miles with their U-turn blinker blinking.  We'd never know which way they were planning on going, but I still think it's a good idea.

     Having waited until the cupboard looked like Old Mother Hubbard's, I set off for the big box store.  I do enjoy the opportunity to peruse the isles of the different grocery stores here, but since I needed some supplies and groceries, I chose the one-stop-shop.

     I always park at the far end of the parking lot.  I do this for two reasons.  One, the truck I drive is really long and does not fit easily into the small designated slots in the lot.  Since the back side of the lots rarely have anyone parked in them, I can take up two spaces. The second reason is because I need the exercise.   As I walk the distance to the store, the last thing I do is check to see what row number I'm in.  There's a special reason for that, but that is fodder for another day.

     I think I must have been in the store for two hours.  Since I did not take a list, I walked up and down each grocery isle, scanning the shelves to see if there was something I needed.  When I finally got through the checkout lane and headed out the door with my shopping cart about to runneth over, I discovered something I had not noticed before.  Not only had I parked at the far end of the lot, it was all uphill from where I stood. 

     I thought to myself that this was going to be some good, long sought after, exercise.  About half way up the hill, I began to have second thoughts.  At one point I thought I might have to start yelling "Help!" as I believed the shopping cart might start rolling backwards.  In my mind, I could see me lying flat on the pavement, small tire marks across my body, while the cart picked up speed as it headed back towards the store and all my recent purchases flying out with each bump.  When I finally reached the truck, I was in a full body stretch with my hands gripped to the cart handle and my toes digging into the asphalt.  

     I woke up the next morning and thought all was fine....until I got out of bed.  I was beginning to think the end was near because it felt like I had been kicked in the chest by a wild stallion.  Then I remembered the shopping cart workout.  Maybe that wasn't such a good idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment