Monday, March 7, 2016

Holy Guacamole

     The Voice, that lives inside my head, walked into the small galley style kitchen.  I was just going to glance at it, but when I did, the glance turned into a full blown, jaw dropping stare.

     The Voice was dressed in a chef's hat, full length apron and had oven mitts on each hand.  Not only that, it was wearing safety goggles and hip waders.  "Seriously?", I said.  "Good grief, it's deviled eggs.  What could possibly go wrong?"

     The Voice made an effort to raise its eyebrows under the goggles, then sauntered over to the corner and sat on the counter.  I ignored it and went on with a new, super easy, deviled egg recipe. Four ingredients....doesn't get much simpler than that.  

     Seven eggs had already been boiled and cooled.  All that remained was to remove them from their shells, slice them in half and save three of the yolks.  Then came the best part, an avocado.
I do love avocados and I could hardly wait to taste this new recipe. The other three  ingredients where cilantro, lime juice and a bit of chopped onion.

     After mashing the avocado and egg yolks together, I added the rest of the ingredients and stirred them together.  I found a colorful plate and arranged the egg halves on it, grabbed a spoon and filled each one with the, sure to be delicious, green mixture.  There was an optional ingredient, paprika, to be sprinkled on top, if so desired. Why, they wouldn't be deviled eggs without paprika and I shook the container of said spice over the top of the eggs.

     They were just lovely, although they did kind of put me in the mood for a Dr. Seuss book.  I grabbed my phone, took a picture of the eggs on the pretty plate and posted it on my favorite social media platform.  Then it was time for the taste test.  As I turned to place the dirty dishes in the sink, there it was......the onion.

     "SERIOUSLY?", I exclaimed and the Voice left the kitchen to go lounge on the deck.  I got out a clean bowl, scooped all the filling out of the eggs, chopped the onion and started over.  When I had them refilled, I noticed the paprika got smeared in the process so I added some more.  Satisfied that the eggs were right this time, I covered them with plastic wrap and stuck them in the refrigerator.

     I then proceeded to make a favorite dish we have enjoyed many times.  I had concocted this recipe myself and it called for a homemade taco seasoning.......something else I have made many times.  When I was done and had all the ingredients in the crock pot, I realized I had used the wrong measuring spoon for some of the spices.  I looked out the kitchen window towards the deck.  The Voice was sitting in a chair reading a book titled 'Why Some People Never Learn'.  I closed the blinds.

     Random thoughts roll through my head during the sleepless hours of the wee morning.  It was 3 a.m. and I could not think of Fred and Wilma Flintstone's neighbor's wife's name.  I could come up with Barney and that was it.  The next thought that drifted through was that of the eggs........they were still in the refrigerator....I had forgotten to get them out at supper time.

     Later in the morning, my husband remembered her name was Betty.  Barney and Betty had Bam Bam and Fred and Wilma had Pebbles.......And I had deviled eggs for breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment