Friday, February 19, 2016

What Was I Thinking?

     Not having moved for over thirty years, it is never quite clear which items should go and which items should stay.  Waiting until the last minute to pack is never a good idea either.

     When someone saw the picture of the mini van, loaded from floor to ceiling, they asked, "Is that a rocking chair in there?"  Yes indeed, it was a glider rocker and its matching foot stool.....not only that, there were two of them.

     According to Murphy's Law, nothing ever goes as planned.  That turned out to be true as our meager belongings stayed boxed and wrapped in bath towels, a very good way to pack when one does not have enough boxes, for much longer than we thought.  At nearly the three week mark, I had forgotten just exactly what I had brought with me.

     I'm always waxing eloquently about down sizing.  Living a simpler life and not having so much stuff.  One thing is for sure, having only two chairs in the living room allows Runtly, the ever so entertaining Jack Russell Terrier, lots of run and play room.  

     My husband began voicing his opinion, several months ago, about living on one level.  No up the stairs, no down the stairs, makes things easier for aging joints.  This too, is true and I must admit, quite convenient,  other than the fact that our apartment is on the third level, thirty feet off the ground, so there are still many steps to be traversed in a day.  This causes one to think strategically when it comes time to buy groceries.  It also makes for a great upper arm workout by trying to pack all the sacks in one trip.

     Unpacking began to reveal what treasures had seemed important to bring.  The majority of these were kitchen items.  I thought it necessary to bring two crock pots.  Not the regular size crock pot, but two mahonkin' crock pots that hold enough food for a small army.  Then there are the five platters of many colors.......just in case the small army shows up.  I unwrapped ten dinner plates, ten matching bread plates,  seven soup bowls and numerous drinking glasses.  When I got to the cooking utensils, I must have thought I was going to turn into Martha Stewart because I brought dang near all of them.  All these things and not one strainer....of which I have three.  Everything fit into my new kitchen, which is about one fourth the size of the one I left behind.  I can unload the dishwasher and put everything away standing in one spot.

     
     When it came to the equipment for my work, I had left behind one tool that I use almost on a daily basis......the Dremel.  As I peck out these words, it is somewhere in transit between point A and point B.  I will be most happy when it arrives.

     I do not know what I was thinking when I packed our belongings for this great adventure.  Perhaps I was not thinking at all.  Rest assured though, if you show up for a meal, there will be plenty of plates, but you may want to BYOC.....(chair).

No comments:

Post a Comment