Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Rip & Snort

"If I exercised as much as I think about exercising, I'd probably die from exhaustion."  R. E. Reeves

    Being in a new place gives one the opportunity to do new things.  It is a liberating feeling to have new thoughts and ideas while standing at the starting line of a brand new experience.

     Having thought a long time about getting serious about exercising, I figured this would be the perfect time to really do it. Yoga was my workout of choice for two reasons.   One, it is easy on the joints and two, just getting into the beginning 'mountain pose' is a workout in itself and getting there is an accomplishment in itself.

     After donning my yoga pants, which are a wonderful piece of attire, giving one the thought that maybe it was just the imagination saying the blue jeans were a bit tight, I set out to begin my first session.  I had no more picked my spot when Runtly, the ever so entertaining Jack Russell Terrier, let me know he needed to go outside.  

     Several months ago I purchased a training collar for Runtly.  It is the kind that has battery on the collar and a remote control that allows the trainer to give the trainee a mild static shock when a directive has not been followed.  This turned out to be the best investment, because within three days, we were walking without a leash.

     This new environment we have found ourselves in has many pet owners and most of those pets are dogs.  This place also requires said dogs to be on a leash.  Runtly and I have already been reprimanded for this.  Since it was our first encounter with one of the ladies who work here, I decided not to be a smart-alack and say, "He is on a leash, you just can't see it." and told here I would oblige by the rules.  We only use the training collar under the cover of darkness or early in the morning before above mentioned lady shows up for work.

     This meant having to use the harness for the daily day time outings.  I do not know what it is about the harness, but Runtly does not like it.    It is made with soft padded straps and nylon mesh so it isn't binding or tight, but when it comes into his line of vision, the chase is on.  I truly believe he thinks it makes him look like a wuss.  

     Our new living quarters has carpet throughout the entire area except the kitchen.  This is a new experience for Runtly because he has been raised on hardwood and tile floors.  It was not long before he gave the word 'traction' new meaning.  At first sight of the harness he tucks his rear end under and takes off.  This particular dog posture somehow activates turbo mode.  Runtly flies from room to room, turning on a dime, bouncing off of whatever furniture might be in his path and then rips and snorts back to his original starting place, with me in hot pursuit.  This goes on far longer than necessary, but it sure is funny to watch.

     After several minutes of ripping and snorting, Runtly's futile effort to elude the harness came to an end and  I was catching my breath as we headed out the door.  No sooner had we returned, my husband showed up with a washing machine.  Since it was laundry day and I was going to have to find a laundry mat, I was over joyed to see this appliance.  "You're going to have to help me unload it.", he said.

     Luckily, he had secured a two wheeled cart for this endeavor and we wallowed the machine out of the back of the truck and on to the cart.  We navigated the first two steps and then the long walk way that leads to our apartment.  As we reached the steps he looked at me and said, "Only 15 steps to go."

     Yes indeed, 15 steps, straight up.  He took the lead and I pushed. About half way up, I came to the realization that the upper arm strength was nowhere close to what it used to be and I had to wave the white flag for break time.  There was not much ripping going on, but I'm sure I heard a snort or two.  By the time we got the machine through the front door, my arms felt like jello.

     At this point, I decided the yoga could wait for another day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment