Monday, December 1, 2014

A Common Misconception

     Having music playing in the background while working is something I do not usually do.  There is always a song, on a loop feed, that plays endlessly in my head, but recently I have made myself crank up the tunes.  It seems to make my work more productive.

     I listen to rock/pop music.  Whatever is new, whatever most young people listen to.  I like it and it gives me an edge for conversation with the much younger generation.  It is always a delight to hear, "Grandma!  You know that song?"

     I have spent most of my life waltzing around with a large "N" of naiveness planted somewhere on my forehead.  The big "N" has served me well from time to time, throughout the years.  Being able to perfect the naive look has come in very handy when finding myself in a situation I knew I had better get out of.....and get out of quick.  But, I have discovered that when the radio station I listen to plays the 'oldies but goodies' or 'rotten forgottens', there are a lot of lyrics that I didn't understand. Sometimes I just inserted a word that I thought was the right one, only to find out a decade later I had been singing it wrong. 

     When I listen to the music today, I listen very carefully to the words.  It amazes me, that after all this time, after all the things we have supposedly learned as a functioning society, much of the music is still sending the same message.  That message being, love and sex are the same thing.  Many young people fall for this myth and some end up finding out the hard way that this is simply not true.

     One of the songs, that is popular right now, has a couple crooning to each other about their love/sex relationship.  The male voice sings seductively that he will make her sexual/love experience feel just like the first time.  I may be wrong on this, but I'd venture a guess that there are a lot of women that would agree the first time being wonderful is a HUGE common misconception.

     Perhaps there is nothing new under the sun.  The song "Baby It's Cold Outside" was written in 1944 and if you think he was really concerned about her getting cold, ya might want to listen to the lyrics again.

     Yes, it is true, some of us just liked the music and did not pay much attention to the words.  Be sure to listen to the music your children are listening to....and be sure to explain the difference.

     

     
     

     


No comments:

Post a Comment