Monday, August 31, 2020

Things That Might Help

 During these crazy times, times of staying away from people, family, friends, it is not only easy, it is a fact, people are getting bored.  They are not only bored, they are lonely, fearful and depressed.  Although sights of angry mobs make us wonder if humanity is really all it's cracked up to be, we really do need community.  

Having dealt with the pandemic, by trying to eat my way through it, I was not any happier.  Knowing that happiness comes from the inside and not the out, I thought of ways to combat my despair, besides eating an entire bag of chips or a whole jar of peanut butter......which is really not a favorite food to start with.

I had plenty to do, to keep me busy and focused, but only a fellow artist understands an artists' funk.  I tried reading, because I really like to read.  While reading, my mind would wander to the things I should be doing.  That made me feel worse.  I would clean house and do laundry.  That only lasted a short while, two people don't make a huge mess or have mountains of dirty clothes.

Thinking about what had worked in the past, I decided to do a breathing technique I had learned the year before.  It's a process of getting as much oxygen in the system and then learning to hold the breath for as long as possible.  Actually, one doesn't hold the breath in, so to speak, rather on the last exhale, one does not take another breath in.  It sounds weird, but it is an amazing process to eliminate lots of ailments, depression being one of them.  Do some research first, just look up Wim Hoff.

So, after the breathing exercise, I started to meditate.  All that is needed is 10-15 minutes.  The difference between prayer and meditation has been described as prayer is talking to God, meditation is listening.  Learning to meditate is not hard.  If there is anything hard about it, it is learning to quiet the mind.  I still find myself wandering off wondering what I'm going to eat when I'm done.  But, it does help lift the spirits of darkness, especially if practiced regularly.  

Then, despite all my efforts of finding self comfort, I knew that I needed to throw some movement into the mix. I started walking.  I mapped out a course and walked one mile each day.  Being impatient and not seeing any results, I read an article that stated by packing more weight, while walking, helped reduce weight.  I borrowed a 20 pound walking vest and removed 10 pounds.  I know myself well enough to realize "go big, or go home" is not the best advice for me to follow.....unless, of course, I want to quit on about the third or fourth day.  Walking, carrying an extra 10 pounds, was harder than I imagined, but I kept going.  After the first two weeks, I started to jog.

I have always thought being a runner would be a cool thing.  But, I have never seen a runner running who looked like they were having a good time.  That is probably my biggest problem in life, always wanting to have a good time.  Anyway, I started to add a jogging lap between my walking laps.  Now I'm jogging the entire mile.  Do not envision me gliding along that magnificent mile.  It's rather more like an old lady shuffle, just faster, because when I'm coming down that last lap, my feet are just barely above skimming the earth.

These are a few things that might help, if you are struggling with the loneliness.  Besides making you feel better, you may surprise yourself on what you are able to accomplish, no matter where you find yourself on the timeline of life.



No comments:

Post a Comment