Tuesday, January 9, 2018

The Big Green Clean

The Voice, that lives inside my head, had not been seen for several days.  The Voice thought it was a good idea to go out to celebrate the New Year.  It was one of the rare times that not listening to the Voice paid off, although I must admit, it did look pretty good as it waltzed out the door in a new pair of leather fringed ankle boots.

Several people were talking about doing the big clean. I inquired about this and was told that instead of spring cleaning, this area deep cleans right after the beginning of a new year.  After giving this some thought, I proceeded to follow suit.  There was not a lot that needed to be tossed, but it is always interesting as to how much unnecessary  stuff can begin to accumulate in a short amount of time and in a small living space.

As I began the deep cleaning process, I made several trips to the trash can.  It is located at the far end of the kitchen in a small utility closet.  Going into the kitchen several times caused me to walk past the refrigerator and of course, that meant opening the fridge door to peek inside and make mental assessments.  

While running the vacuum, I began to think about my endless quest for a low-carb, bread like, type of wrap.  I had been in the refrigerator enough to know what ingredients could possibly be used for such a grand endeavor.  As I was making another trip to the trash can, I stopped to peer inside of the pantry.  Those cans of spinach had been in there a long time.

While dusting and periodically thinking about the low-carb concoction, I pulled out the food processor on my next trip through the kitchen.  Not wanting to waste footsteps, during the next two trips I retrieved eggs, two cans of spinach, that I opened and poured into a strainer and some portabella mushrooms that really needed to be used.  Everything about the ingredients screamed of healthful benefits.

Stopping mid-stream, again, with the vacuum, I went back into the kitchen.  I had it all planned out in my head and figured it should be a success.  Therefore, I put all the spinach, all the mushrooms and one dozen eggs into the food processor and hit the start button.  

While I was cleaning out a large walk-in closet, I remembered I had turned the burner on under the cast iron skillet.  Hurrying out, I was relieved to see that it was not smoking too much.  At least not enough to set the smoke alarm off.  I took the lid off the processor and admired its contents.  It was green, kinda brown and really thick.  I had envisioned a more crepe like delicacy, but as soon as the first scoopful hit the skillet, pancakes were more in order.

I used a large spoon to quickly spread the blob of low-carb, green-brown paste around the bottom of the skillet and waited for it to cook.  The first one was turned over a bit too early and fell apart so I decided to wait longer on the second attempt and headed back to the closet.  Funny thing, spinach mushroom egg wraps do not burn.  I decided to thin the mixture but can not for the life of me remember what I used to do that, but it did help with the smoothing out process.

Before too long, I had a nice stack of green-brown-spinach -egg wraps sitting on a plate.  I looked up just in time to see the Voice leaning over the counter, looking at the finished product.  After about 5 seconds, the Voice went tearing out of the kitchen, headed to the bathroom, still wearing one leather fringed ankle boot.

The wraps, they were pretty tasty, even Runtly, the ever so entertaining Jack Russell Terrier, liked them.  The apartment was spotless, the refrigerator looked good and the Voice.....well, I hope it gets to feeling better soon.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment