Tuesday, November 14, 2017

The Sweet Goodbye

You were considered a good friend., maybe even the best.  Always there for me, when I felt like no one else was.  You were dependable and never ceased to share your amazing calming qualities, without even being asked.  I depended so much on you and you let me, never once complaining, even when I took advantage of you.  

I had ended our friendship once before.  If that upset you, I never knew it.  You simply waited for me.  I knew that somewhere, in the back of my mind,  you really were not the right one for me.  You had the qualities of a serial stalker and even though I knew it, I loved you enough not to care.  

As I look back on our relationship, I wonder now, just what it was about you I found so fascinating.  Was it the way you looked?  No, you had no special features that I can recall.  Was it the way you caressed my fingertips?  Hmmmm, that may have had something to do with it.  Was it your ability to stay silent and non-judgmental?  Perhaps.  

Do I miss you?  Sometimes, it has been a year since we last saw each other, but, not so much anymore.  I truly believe I am over you.  I look back on our relationship as a life lesson, even though, someday it may be one of the hardest to learn.  So, it is with a heart full of happiness, I'm glad I kicked your butt to the curb and bid you farewell.

For those of you who have never caved to peer pressure, never had or needed a vice, never put a cigarette to your lips, I commend you on your inner strength.  For those who are still fighting the addiction, I can only offer what worked for me......twice.

I had tried the pills, I had tried the patch.  Those did not work, at least, not for me.  The only thing that worked was to tell myself I needed to quit.  That I needed to be a non-smoker and that I could be one.  I told myself this for days, weeks and months. Then, one day, a day I had placed my eyes upon on the calendar, I quit.

The mind and the subconscious is a powerful thing.  It believes whatever we tell it.  Sometimes it takes a while for the belief to stick, but if it hears it long enough, it will happen.  There is no judgement here, it believes what we think is good stuff and it believes what we think is bad.  

Tell yourself some good stuff and may you too, experience the sweet goodbye.  


No comments:

Post a Comment